Thursday, June 24, 2010

What is it?

When my brother was visiting the weekend after the flood, he took a walk in the muddy flood plain field behind our house and collected goodies that had floated back there for us!  The field had collected all of the bushes that had washed out of the holes in our flower beds - many thanks to Norfolk's landscapers for leaving the root balls intact so they just floated away after being planted for 6 months, a water hose on a reel, a rickety rocking chair that lasted until we could find another like the one that floated downstream, a huge ceramic plant urn for the sis-in-law, plenty of gutter downspouts, a pooper scooper, enough lumber to rebuild my stairs and frame out some under-stair storage, my (and my neighbors) doormats - or at least a 'B' and 'F', respectively, and this plant - which used to be hideous!  I neglected it for a good 7 weeks - I think Patrick watered it once, but apparently it thrives on neglect, so it might be just the plant for us!  To my surprise, I looked at it sitting in its pot in our new weed bed, and we had little pink flowers!!!!!  Who knew it would be so pretty?!?!?

 
Of course, if I start paying attention to it now, it'll probably die...


PS - Pay no attention to the surrounding weeds - it'll be a flower bed again someday.

PPS - Does anyone know what this might be?  Until yesterday (or the day before), it was just the stick-y part - no leaves or blooms.  And if it's any hint, it seems to thrive without water and in 100 degree weather...

No comments:

Post a Comment