Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The "Week of Soups" Explained

I'm leaving Patterick and the pup-pup for a week to go to my parents for Thanksgiving.

I'm pretty sure they'll survive without me - they'll manage to feed themselves, pup-pup really won't stare out the door waiting for me to come home, and Patrick probably won't run out of clean underwear - but I like to think they won't.

But, in preparation for my abandonment departure, we decided to have a "Week of Soups".  We do love soups, and we're always joking about how we could eat it every day, so we decided to give it a go.  Plus, I have an uncanny ability to make any type of soup in anything even closely resembling a small quantity, so Patrick will have plenty of leftovers for dinners, lunches and breakfasts while I'm away!

Here's the rundown of our week:
Patrick's rating the soups on a scale of 1-10 as we go along :-)

Sunday: Sherried Tomato Soup with Caramelized Onion Focaccia Bread
Patrick's Rating: 9 
Leftover Count: 2 bowls 1 bowl (Patrick had leftovers for lunch)
I'll have to share the focaccia recipe later, since it was a combination of several online and cookbook recipes, and I've got lots of little tweaks to make next time around!  It was amazing though, and I am very frightened that I could now potentially have delicious bread in my house all the time!

Monday: Italian Meatball Soup
Patrick's Rating: 6 
Leftover Count: 3 bowls
I've made this one once before, and I remember it being better a last time, so I'm not sure what I did wrong.  I also add a full can of tomato paste instead of what the recipe calls for, and a can of diced tomatoes.  I'm tomatoey like that.

Tuesday: French Onion 
Patrick's Rating: 8 
Leftover Count: 0 bowls
Recipe coming soon!   An adapted version of the recipe in my Better Hones and Garden cookbook.  This is the only soup in the whole wide world that I can never have leftovers of.  I think it shrinks while cooking.

Wednesday: Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Patrick's Rating: 8 
Leftover Count: 4 bowls
Recipe coming soon!  I am by no means an expert in Cajun food, but I give it a try.  This one is a combination of my mom's recipe, Emeril's recipe from Food Network, and my own little adjustments.  And it makes a ton of food!


Day 4 Note: I miss chewing.
Thursday: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Patrick's Rating: 8 
Leftover Count: 2 bowls
My first foray into the homemade "Soup for Dinner" arena is still regular favorite!  We probably have this one more than any other soup I make, mainly because it is super easy and extra delicious!

Day 5 Note: I'm tired of chopping, and Patrick's tired of doing dishes.

Friday: Irish Beef Stew and Buttered Rosemary Rolls Robbie's Mom's Cornbread
Patrick's Rating: 9 
Leftover Count: 2 bowls
This one is my personal favorite!  It's like your mom's beef stew, but with an extra special delicious kick from the wine and the Guinness!!  It's fabulous.  And I forgot to put the rolls out to thaw this morning, so our neighbor's brought some cornbread down and we all chowed down, and still had leftovers.  Make this one tomorrow!!!   You'll love me for it.

Saturday: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soups

...and then I fly to Tejas where I don't have to cook for a week!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment