Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Meatless Monday and My Mother

We attempted Meatless Monday Tuesday for the first time this week!

If you know us, that's a pretty big accomplishment...we do love our animal proteins here in the Broughton house.

The recipe is below, but first I must introduce you to my little friend:
(my momma introduced him to me)
Classico's Traditional Basil Pesto
It's about $3, and it makes two meals!  What a deliciously great deal!

Funny story - Mom gave me a jar of this in the "pantry care package" she made for me when they put our kitchen back together post-flood.  She told me she tosses the whole jar of pesto with pasta and serves it with a chicken breast.  Dad walks over to me and mutters 'a little goes a really long way.'  And that's one of the many reasons why I love my parents - I guarantee my dad eats it every time she makes it!

Funnier story - The "pantry care package" had 3 things in it that weren't expired 1) the pesto 2) a bottle of bbq sauce 3) a box of gravy mix.  Fun fact: a box of spaghetti purchased today generally doesn't expire for 3 years...the one in our care package expired in 2008.  Thanks for cleaning out your pantry, Mom!  Love you!


Amanda's Pesto Pasta
  • One box Whole Grain Penne
  • 1/2 jar Classico's Traditional Basil Pesto - shake it up first so the oil is distributed
  • 1 can black olives - slice 'em up
  • ~1/2 cup Sun-Dried tomatoes - I use the pre-julienned ones so no work for me!
  • 2 8oz. packages of sliced mushrooms - I use whatever type is on sale...
  • Salt / Pepper
  • Parmesan cheese for topping

Boil water and cook the pasta according to the package directions.  While the pasta is cooking, saute the mushrooms in olive oil with a sprinkling of salt and pepper until tender and delicious!  Drain the pasta and return to pasta pot.  Toss in the pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, sliced olives, and mushrooms.  Spoon a large helping onto a plate and top with some Parmesan cheese shavings!

It's nothing fancy, but its kind of healthy, and super-duper easy to make on a week night.  Plus, this makes a ton of food - for the two of us, it's more than enough for seconds and lunch the next day!

P.S.  If we weren't going meatless, it's also super delicious with a grilled chicken breast sliced up and tossed in in place of one of the packages of mushrooms - almost just like Mom makes!

1 comment:

  1. isn't it crazy how we Americans (or is it just Texans) focus so much on meat. It doesn't seem like a complete meal without meat, but it can be! Haha on the expired food!
    You should have taken an after picture of yall smiling, pesto filled teeth and all!

    ReplyDelete